Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets offer a very high amount of utility to the welders, and this is why they are preferred over the regular helmets. They help the welders get rid of the manual process of lifting the helmet repeatedly. Moreover, the Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets also offer much more protection. We understand that before you buy an Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets, you would want to understand its benefits and drawbacks. To help you, we have shared all these details in the pointers below. Check them out now.
Benefits of Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets
- Automatic Adjustments – The best benefit of the Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets is that they adjust automatically. You don’t have to flip up the helmet manually. The electric circuit will take care of blocking the light as soon as you start welding. In addition, the electric circuit will also let the light pass as soon as you stop welding. This makes the job easy for you. In addition, the darkness of the lens also varies depending on the light, and this adjustment happens automatically.
- Higher Protection – Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets have many layers of the protective lens, and they also have a fail-safe mechanism. In such a case, Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets offer better protection to the person using the helmet. The protection offered is much higher when compared with the passive helmet.
- Higher Accuracy – While working with the welding machine, you want accuracy in the joints you create. Since the Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets offer better visibility, your accuracy also improves. This leads to more professional looking work. It is a must-have helmet for the people who are still learning.
- Manual Adjustments – Many Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets also allow you to make a manual adjustment. They allow you to adjust the darkness and the sensitivity to the light. This helps you personalize the helmet, and hence it becomes a preferred choice of the people. There are buttons or rotatory knobs for controlling this.
- Solar Power – Most Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets have solar cells that work with a battery. The solar cell charges the battery and helps you cut down the cost of battery replacement. Moreover, the current required for the working of Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets is significantly less, and hence the circuit is usually not prone to failure.
Drawbacks of Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets
- Battery May Run Out – Some Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets come with non-rechargeable batteries. These helmets may experience a power loss all of a sudden without warning. The battery usually lasts very long, but it may become inconvenient if you don’t have the battery handy. In addition, it also adds to the overall cost of ownership of the helmet.
- Maintenance Required – You need to keep the helmet away from water, and you also need to keep it clean. You can’t wash the Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets. You must also keep the photo-sensor clean, or else the lens may not turn transparent since the light can be blocked.
This was all about the benefits and drawbacks of Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets. You would have realized that the Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets offer a much higher utility than a regular helmet. In addition, the drawbacks are pretty minor to be ignored. So, we certainly recommend Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets over the traditional welding helmets.